Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest & Award Ceremony
Lodi Community Outreach, a program of Lodi Funeral Home, Inc., will announce the winners of their Memorial Day Youth Essay Contest on May 29, 2017 in a special awards ceremony during the Memorial Day Patriotic Remembrance.
Six winners of this contest will share cash prizes totaling $1,600! Winning essays will be featured on Lodi Funeral Home, Inc.'s website, social media pages, and other related print and electronic media.
This essay contest was open to all San Joaquin County area middle and high school students and submissions were accepted at the funeral home during the month of April 2017. All entries had to be presented in a personal essay format, with 500 to 525 words on the true meaning of Memorial Day.
1. Eligibility: Entrants must be middle or high school students enrolled in the San Joaquin County, CA area School District. Entries from private, charter and home schools will also be accepted.
2. Format: Entries must be presented in the format of a Personal Essay, between 500-525 words, using a double-spaced 12-point font and must include a bibliography (not included in the word count).
3. Topic: “The True Meaning of Memorial Day”. Students are encouraged to discuss the essay theme with teachers, parents and friends. The essay should be positive and clearly focused on the theme. Teachers and parents may check essays, but the content of the essay must be that of the student.
4. Research: Research is essential in creating a quality essay. Please cite library resources, Web URLs with access dates, and personal interviews.
5. Bibliography: The bibliography must cite at least two references. Entries that do not include a bibliography will be disqualified.
6. Essay Entries: Must be submitted and received between April 1 and April 30, 2017. Entries cannot be acknowledged or returned, and they become the property of Lodi Funeral Home. Essays should be mailed to: Lodi Funeral Home, 725 South Fairmont Ave, Lodi, CA 95240. Entries must be accompanied by a 3x5 index card, attached but not stapled to essay containing the following information: contestant’s name, address, phone number, student ID number, and name of parent/guardian who will accompany contestant at the related Essay Contest Awards Ceremony.
7. Evaluation Process: Winning essays will be selected on the following basis:
>25 points—Originality and creativity
>25 points—Compliance with the assigned topic
>20 points—Factual accuracy
>15 points—Grammar and organization of content
>15 points—Scope of research
8. Awards: $500 will be awarded to one each middle and high school first place winner; $200 will be awarded to one each first place runner-up at both middle and high school levels and $100 will be awarded to one each second place runner-up in both middle and high school levels. Each winner and his/her parent/guardian must be present to receive their prize.
Our 2016 Youth Essay Contest Winners:
The winners of Lodi Funeral Home's inaugural Youth Essay Contest were recognized in a special awards ceremony at 6 p.m. Friday, May 27, at the funeral home. All San Joaquin County area middle and high school students were invited to participate, and submissions were accepted at the funeral from through the entire month of April. The contest's purpose was to inspire youths in our community to learn more about this important holiday.
First Place: Kameron Fernandez
Second Place: Avneet Kaur Gill
Third Place: Ana Sandoval
First Place: Rebecca Brodehl
Second Place: Angelica Magallon
Third Place: Katie Moreno
Alyssa Palacio | Andrew Parkins | Benjamin Lozo | Brixton Delaserda | Catalina Torres | Devan Bolina | Emma Jane Hand | Hunter Schuler | Kelsey Marie Ladao | Maeralyn Pogoso | Manaar Salama | Marissa Serrano | Newly Nuno | Nkeiruka Anyasado | Noah Vinoya | Victoria Rocha | Xrarett Najera
Throughout the course of the year, Lodi Community Outreach hosts free workshops, seminars, and remembrance events intended to enhance the well-being and overall health of the Lodi community. All of our Community Outreach events are free of charge and open to all, regardless if they have been served by our company.